Portland is a strategic communications consultancy trusted by some of the highest profile organizations, brands, governments, and individuals in the UK and around the world. We have global offices in London, Paris, Brussels, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi and Berlin.
We are pioneers in integrated communications campaigns, helping clients manage their reputation, improve their visibility and media coverage – and deliver global communications campaigns across multiple platforms.
Our teams of experienced consultants invest time to understand clients from the inside out, work with them to set clear strategic direction, and then bring the whole of Portland’s abilities to bear to deliver on their objectives.
At Portland we never rest on our laurels; we constantly strive to improve our work and be at the forefront of our industry.
The person we’re looking for
We want to hear from you if you specialise in media relations and are confident advising on and delivering corporate communications for established global businesses and challenger brands. You must be able to express your thoughts and ideas in a clear and compelling way on paper and be articulate and confident in a room full of senior business figures.
It’s essential you understand how reputation can drive or hinder commercial success.
Agency life is a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with multiple demands on your time. So, you must be able to motivate teams to do their best work.
We are particularly interested in candidates who can show strong project management skills as well as a deep understanding of the media. And finally, we’re always looking for people who think differently, and can bring fresh ideas or perspectives.
Portland is seeking a Consultant (Account Manager) to join its UK corporate communications team. Your day-to-day focus will be on helping our clients to communicate with everyone from business, political and financial audiences, to their consumers. Often, this will require you to work both independently, and as part of a team. This is a mid-level role.
• Helping to devise and deliver proactive and reactive media and digital engagement strategies;
• Drafting a range of materials including press releases, opinion editorials, briefing documents and analysis;
• Coordinating, managing and undertaking media monitoring and horizon scanning;
• Organising and coordinating set piece events and running campaigns;
• Strong client management skills as well as responding quickly and accurately to client requests;
• Managing multi-disciplinary client teams;
• Supporting new business proposals and pitches;
• Ensuring the successful day-to-day delivery of communications strategies and tactical plans;
• Building a relevant network of media contacts;
• Supporting the growth of the business through marketing activity.
The person we are looking for:
• You must be proactive, creative and detail-driven with an excellent understanding of the media and the broader business, consumer and political landscape;
• Ambitious and enjoy working with fiercely intelligent people in a growing consultancy;
• Adaptable, as you’ll be working with clients from a variety of sectors;
• Able to demonstrate an ability to build relationships and spot opportunities;
• An avid reader of news and consumer of podcasts, with a strong enough understanding of social media to provide creative and strategic digital advice to clients;
• Well connected with national and trade media
• Ideally, you will have four years’ experience, gained either in-house or within an agency, advising brands on strategic and corporate communications.
What we offer in return:
• We are committed to employee development and have an open doors culture where you will have the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced people in the business. We regularly reward and promote success, and actively encourage staff to take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression
• Our remuneration package also includes our competitive pension contributions, private healthcare life assurance cover, company contribution to gym membership, wellbeing workshops and activities, company parties, lunch contribution each week and much, much more!
• At Portland we take a flexible approach to work and encourage our colleagues to do the same. All our roles are open to flexible working requests and we will consider all options during our recruitment process. This includes but is not limited to: flexible hours, home working, compressed hours and job sharing.
• In addition, every permanent member of staff that works at Portland is eligible for our annual profit share. When Portland thrives, all of our people share in that success
Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we receive it is not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. In addition, the length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 3-4 weeks. Therefore, your patience is greatly appreciated.