Portland is a fully integrated consultancy with dedicated specialists experienced in the development and implementation of public affairs and communications strategies.
Trusted by some of the highest profile organisations, governments and individuals in the world, we have global offices in Brussels, Berlin, Paris, London, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi.
Our services include political and regulatory risk, integrated advocacy campaigns, reputation management, and crisis communications. We have extensive experience in a wide range of policy areas, including digital and data protection, antitrust and trade law, transport, healthcare, environment and circular economy, financial services and fisheries.
We understand national, European and global politics, how their stakeholders interact and where risks and opportunities lie for businesses.
Our teams of experienced and multilingual consultants invest time to understand clients from the inside out, work with them to set clear strategic direction, and then bring the whole of Portland’s abilities to bear to deliver their objectives.
Portland is a very results-driven business, with an unswerving focus on quality. To achieve this, we need to work collaboratively in a fun environment. We laugh, we strategize, we discuss, but we remember what is the most important: advancing the interests of our clients.
We are looking for a Consultant (Account Manager) to join our team in Brussels.
Our work is fast-paced, European and global in scope. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who brings a real passion for EU affairs, a very good understanding of EU politics and process, and a team-player attitude.
You will be the point of contact for existing client accounts, responsible for providing day-to-day management and the development of new strands of business activity.
- You have at least 3 - 5 years of professional experience in European public affairs, political communications or policy development (either in-house or in a consultancy), inside or around the EU institutions. European Parliament, European Commission, Council, industry association, a media organisation, and/or a think-tank.
- Fluent in English and French; have excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills. Knowledge of additional European languages is an asset.
- Strong understanding of EU institutions and decision-making procedures.
- Experience working on tech/digital, internal market, agrifish and/or sustainability policy issues is preferred. However, experience in other policy areas is also welcome.
- With sound political judgment and strong analytical skills, you have the ability and confidence to serve demanding public and private sector clients at the highest levels.
- Proven experience in managing political advocacy campaigns and are digital savvy.
- You have a well-developed professional network.
- You are able to consistently manage deadlines across multiple accounts.
- You are entrepreneurial, willing to take risks, with a logical, creative and flexible approach to solve problems, and an enthusiastic ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Interested in political issues and have the ability to analyse and translate them into sensible recommendations, scenarios and strategies for clients.
- You take a logical, creative and flexible approach to solve problems, with an enthusiastic ‘can-do’ attitude.
- This role will involve working on both EU public policy issues and communications briefs for a variety of clients across a range of industries.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing solid client relationships, maintaining a thorough understanding of client's business and industry, and translating that knowledge into quality advice.
- Looking at the complexity of EU policy and being able translate it into a clear strategy and tailored recommendations for clients.
- Successfully managing accounts and team workloads.
- Looking out for opportunities to add value to and grow client accounts and contributing actively to the overall new business operations of the company.
- Managing and empowering junior staff members.
- Promoting the Portland brand in the marketplace.
You can expect to work on exciting projects and on a broad range of political topics. Our clients have a strong international orientation, which is why you will work closely with our other colleagues based in Berlin, Paris, London, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi.
We are part of the Omnicom Group, the leading global advertising, marketing and corporate communications company.
We have an unrivalled strategic and advisory council; a group that has held some of the hottest seats in politics and the media. Our clients benefit from their experience and expertise, but so do our people.
We are committed to employee development and have an open doors culture.
We have a solid and structured approach to individual career development where you will have the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced people in the business and we regularly reward and promote success within the company. We actively encourage staff to develop innovative and exciting ways of delivering success and to take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression.
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive it is not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. The length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 3-4 weeks.