Portland is a fully integrated communications consultancy trusted by some of the highest profile organisations, governments and individuals in the world, with offices in London, Paris, Brussels, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi.
We help clients manage their reputations. We make their voices heard, solve complex problems, and manage commercial threats. We are pioneers in integrated communications campaigns across multiple platforms.
Our work spans strategy, content, and delivery, supported by in-house insights, digital and design teams. We work with a range of clients from large corporates across a range of sectors, through to start-ups, NGOs and governments.
The Health Team
In a complex and fast-changing landscape Portland’s integrated team of strategic communications, policy, research, public affairs and digital specialists are supporting clients shape the future of health in the UK and across Europe.
From cell and gene therapies to breakthroughs in the treatment of rare diseases, the launching of advanced medical devices and the introduction of COVID-19 vaccines to partnering with patient groups – we are at the forefront of the health agenda, delivering exceptional, results-driven impact for clients.
Working at the intersection of health policy and strategic communications Portland offers integrated multimarket solutions and high-level strategic counsel with quality, creative execution.
Our approach is to ensure deep knowledge through each area’s expertise, and to deliver on client objectives through an integrated approach which combines the following expertise, creating a tailored programme:
- Public affairs and policy
- Corporate and crisis communications
- Research, insight and analysis
- Patient advocacy and disease awareness campaigning
- Market access communications
- Digital and social media content delivery
- Lead on the setup and delivery of strategic healthcare communications projects, utilising strong understanding of the UK and broader pharmaceutical landscape and the treatment approval/reimbursement life cycle
- Oversee the delivery of multiple projects and account team management for several clients from concept to completion
- Develop communications strategies that address client objectives and develop tactics that engage priority audiences
- Identify potential story ideas for clients and turn these into successful pitches to capture the interest of journalists, ultimately resulting in media coverage in the UK or globally (ex-US)
- Manage media activity for product launches, corporate initiatives, regulatory milestones, executive thought leadership, background briefings, contributed content (op-eds, bylines, etc.) and digital media (podcasts, influencers etc)
- Support the growth and development of the team through high quality line management of junior members of the team, identifying growth opportunities and taking an active role in marketing activities
- Contribute to existing client upsell and new business proposal development/pitching
- Build internal and external networks with colleagues, opinion leaders, journalists, professional associations, online influencers and other relevant third-parties
- Be an experienced programme lead with at least 3 years of experience working for pharmaceutical clients on behalf of a communications consultancy or in an in-house role
- Have proven experience of leading the delivery of high-profile accounts/work programmes and be able to anticipate clients’ challenges and develop strategies to solve them
- Be highly organised with the ability to manage multiple projects at any one time and meet deadlines.
- Have strong knowledge of, and interest in, the UK healthcare environment and strategies for engaging priority audiences including – but not limited to - payers, HCPs, policymakers, patients/PAGs and the broader public
- Enjoy storytelling and have demonstrable media handling experience with national, trade, local, broadcast, feature, wires and online media outlets
- The credibility to earn the respect of peers and team members, supporting juniors to develop and seniors to provide strong client counsel
- Be committed to ensuring the highest quality of delivery for clients, seeing the bigger picture and how work contributes to overall strategies, whilst also keeping on top of the smaller details to ensure accuracy.
What we offer in return:
We are committed to employee development and have an open doors culture where you will have the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced people in the business. We regularly reward and promote success, and actively encourage staff to take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression.
Our remuneration package also includes our competitive pension contributions, private healthcare life assurance cover, company contribution to gym membership, wellbeing workshops and activities, company parties, lunch contribution each week and much, much more!
At Portland we take a flexible approach to work and encourage our colleagues to do the same. All our roles are open to flexible working requests and we will consider all options during our recruitment process. This includes but is not limited to: flexible hours, home working, compressed hours and job sharing.
In addition, every permanent member of staff that works at Portland is eligible for our annual profit share. When Portland thrives, all of our people share in that success
Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we receive it is not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. In addition, the length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 3-4 weeks. Therefore, your patience is greatly appreciated.