Portland is a global communications consultancy trusted by some of the highest profile organisations, governments, and individuals in the world with offices in London, Paris, Brussels, Berlin, Washington D.C., Singapore, Doha and Nairobi.
The work that we do is exciting, challenging and genuinely interesting. We design and deliver communications strategies for some of the world’s highest profile organizations, governments, individuals and some of the most exciting, purpose-led corporations and philanthropic organisations, across a range of sectors including health, government advisory, digital and crisis comms.
We are pioneers in integrated communications campaigns help clients manage their reputation, improve their visibility and media coverage – and deliver global communications campaigns across multiple platforms.
Our teams of experienced and multilingual consultants invest time to understand clients from the inside out, work with them to set clear strategic direction, and then bring the whole of Portland’s abilities to bear to deliver their objectives.
At Portland we never rest on our laurels; we constantly strive to improve our work and be at the forefront of the industry.
Portland is one of the UK’s leading public affairs consultancies. For over 20 years, we have been trusted by the world’s biggest businesses and agenda-setting brands to advise on their most complex challenges. Helping them get to the point by providing clarity, insight and focus to their public affairs and policy activity.
Through our combination of unparalleled policy knowledge, expansive political networks and communications expertise, we deliver integrated campaigns which have a real impact in an increasingly complex regulatory landscape. Whether it is to build reputations, change the direction of a debate, or secure a better operating environment.
Our combination of high-level strategic counsel with high quality execution is nationally and increasingly globally renowned for dealing with issues spanning multiple audiences, continents and channels. We are trusted to always provide a thoughtful and strategic approach to problem-solving.
- Are you passionate about politics and how policy gets made?
- Are you clued up with the latest news?
- Do you have both an eye for detail and a flair for communication?
- Do you enjoy coming up with exciting ideas for how some of the biggest brands can tell their stories to political audiences?
- Do you thrive in a team and are willing to go the extra mile to achieve the highest standards?
If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Portland is seeking an Executive to join our UK-focused Public Affairs team. With no two days the same, your activities will focus on helping our clients to understand the political environment and supporting campaigns to ensure their voices are heard in political debates.
You will need to work collaboratively as part of multiple account teams while also taking responsibility for delivering ‘client ready’ work.
You must be proactive, detail-driven and have a view on the political events that shape our client’s operating environment.
Ideally, you will have some relevant work experience, in politics, media or another agency.
- Undertaking high quality and timely political monitoring that adds value to clients beyond what they can read in the news
- Providing an effective ‘horizon scanning’ function for your account teams, becoming the eyes and ears of your account, particularly in relation to upcoming events, political announcements, debates and industry activity that might affect our clients
- Stakeholder mapping for clients – identifying those politicians, officials and their influencers that determine policy
- Drafting a range of materials from letters and press releases to parliamentary questions and speeches
- Keeping on top of policy developments in a range of sectors, seeking to become an expert in the issues affecting your clients
We are looking for candidates with:
- 1-2 years of experience
- Knowledge of, and interest in, the UK political landscape, including political campaigning and government priorities
- Previous experience or internships in parliament, agency or inhouse roles would be beneficial
What we offer in return:
Portland is a very results-driven business, with an unswerving focus on quality. To achieve this, we need to work collaboratively in a fun environment. We laugh, we strategise, we discuss, but we remember what is most important; advancing the interests of our clients, whilst advancing the careers of our people.
At Portland, we are client-centric but put people first. We have a culture where everyone is trusted and valued in equal measure, whatever your role in the company.
Our aim is to recruit, develop and retain world class people, who come to Portland to do the best work of their careers.
We are committed to employee development and you will have the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced people in the business.
We regularly reward and promote success, encouraging staff to take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression. Personal development and well-being are a key focus; there's regular training, lunch & learn sessions along with well-being workshops and activities.
Our remuneration package includes our competitive pension, private healthcare, life assurance cover, weekly lunch contribution and company contribution to gym membership. In addition, every permanent member of staff that works at Portland is eligible for our annual profit share bonus.
At Portland we take a flexible approach to work and encourage our colleagues to do the same. All of our roles are open to flexible working requests, and we will consider all options during our recruitment process. This includes but is not limited to: hybrid working, flexible hours, compressed hours and job sharing.
We currently work a combination of days in the office and work from home.
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive it is not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. The length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 3-4 weeks.