Portland is a fully integrated consultancy with dedicated specialists experienced in the development and implementation of public affairs and communications strategies.
Trusted by some of the highest profile organisations, governments and individuals in the world, we have global offices in Brussels, Berlin, Paris, London, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi.
Our services include political and regulatory risk, integrated advocacy campaigns, reputation management, and crisis communications. We have extensive experience in a wide range of policy areas, including digital and data protection, antitrust and trade law, transport, healthcare, environment and circular economy, financial services and fisheries.
We understand national, European and global politics, how their stakeholders interact and where risks and opportunities lie for businesses.
Our teams of experienced and multilingual consultants invest time to understand clients from the inside out, work with them to set clear strategic direction, and then bring the whole of Portland’s abilities to bear to deliver their objectives.
Portland is a very results-driven business, with an unswerving focus on quality. To achieve this, we need to work collaboratively in a fun environment. We laugh, we strategize, we discuss, but we remember what is the most important: advancing the interests of our clients.
We are looking for a German speaking Executive or Associate Consultant to join our Brussels team.
- 2-3 years of experience in EU or German public affairs and/or political communications (either in-house or in a consultancy), the EU institutions, an industry association, a media organisation, or a think-tank is preferred.
- A native German speaker whilst also being fluent in English; have excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and/or experience working in German public affairs and/or communications is highly valued.
- Strong understanding of EU institutions and decision-making procedures.
- Interested in political issues and have the ability to analyse and translate them into sensible recommendations, scenarios and strategies for clients.
- Strong communications skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of the media.
- Exceptional attention to detail in an often-high-pressure environment.
- You are thorough, conscientious and have a high degree of personal responsibility.
- You have the ability to build personal networks.
- You take a logical, creative and flexible approach to solve problems, with an enthusiastic ‘can-do’ attitude.
This role will involve working on both EU public policy issues and communications briefs for a variety of clients across a range of industries.
Responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring, gathering intelligence and providing analysis of EU policies, political developments and key trends.
- Helping to devise and deliver proactive and reactive engagement strategies and campaigns;
- Preparing research and briefing notes on EU policy, Member State and relevant international issues and developments for clients.
- Supporting with drafting materials including position papers, opinion articles, statements and press releases.
- Responding quickly and accurately to client requests.
- Organising and coordinating set piece events and running campaigns.
- Supporting new business proposals and pitches.
- Ensuring the successful day to day delivery of communications strategies and tactical plans.
- Building a relevant network.
- Supporting the growth of the business through marketing activity
You can expect to work on exciting projects and on a broad range of political topics. Our clients have a strong international orientation, which is why you will work closely with our other colleagues based in Berlin, Paris, London, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi.
We are part of the Omnicom Group, the leading global advertising, marketing and corporate communications company.
We have an unrivalled strategic and advisory council; a group that has held some of the hottest seats in politics and the media. Our clients benefit from their experience and expertise, but so do our people.
We are committed to employee development and have an open doors culture.
We have a solid and structured approach to individual career development where you will have the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced people in the business and we regularly reward and promote success within the company. We actively encourage staff to develop innovative and exciting ways of delivering success and to take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression.
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive it is not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. In addition, the length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 3-4 weeks. Therefore, your patience is greatly appreciated.